Learn how to make your own Slushies at home with only 5 ingredients and a blender. A cool frothy summer drink perfect for a kid’s birthday party or as a cool drink to refresh anytime.
Kids love slushies, my children always ask to stop at the gas station to get one, but I am a little upset by the amount of sugar they add to the drink.
Since it’s the perfect hot summer day drink to beat the heat, I decided to create my homemade slushies with my blender at home.
My slushee recipe is a frothy fruit juice or diet soda with ice cubes and some added flavor from a natural drink mix.
A simple cold drink that you can make in barely 15 minutes and is perfect for birthday parties.
How To Make a Slushy With a Blender?
Of course, you can’t make slushies without a blender. The frothy texture of slushies comes from the ice being blended at high-speed with juice or soda drinks.
So here’s what you need to make a slushier
- Club soda – this is basically bubbly water with a pinch of salt, no added sugar. For soda slushy flavors, you can swap the club soda by diet soda like coke zero, sprite zero, or any more natural soda available where you live.
- Fruit juice or cold water– you can use any juice flavor. We like to use orange juice for an orange slushie, green juices for green slushies like kiwi juice or purple juice made of strawberry, beetroot for a pink slushy
- Granulated sweetener – you can use any sugar – white sugar, coconut sugar, or sugar-free erythritol for a sugar-free slushy.
- Drink Mix Powder – same here. You can opt for any brand, some are healthier than others, and some drink mixes are also sugar-free to avoid sugar overload. Choose wisely, and play with flavor and color to make the slushy pop in colors! We love making blue slushy with blueberry drink mix. You can make a Kool-aid slushy recipe using Kool-aid drink mix, but they are not the more natural, so I skip this option!
- Few cups of ice cubes – play with the amount to make the slushy more or less frothy.
1. Choosing The Color And Flavor
Before you jump into the recipe, decide the color and flavor you want to make.
Favorite fruit flavors are:
Remember that for fruit slushie, you blend: Club soda + fruit juice of choice + remaining ingredients.
- Lemon – combine 1 cup of club soda, cold water, ice cubes, sugar, and a lemon drink mix powder.
- Blueberry – combine club soda, cold water, sugar, and blueberry drink mix powder.
- Strawberry – combine club soda, strawberry juice, sugar, and strawberry drink mix powder.
- Orange – combine club soda, orange juice, sugar, and orange drink mix powder.
Other favorite flavors
Some other flavors for slushee often use a soda base, like coke, sprite, or Fanta.
You can swap the club soda for any of these soda drinks – use a zero-carb soda to avoid sugar.
- Lemon Coca-Cola
- Raspberry Coca-Cola
- Orange Sprite
Bring all the ingredients into your blender except the soda water. Close the blender’s lid tightly, and blend at high speed until it crushes ice into a frothy snowy drink.
Add more ice for a frothier texture and blend again to combine.
Stop the blender, stir in the cup of soda in for a bubbly boost and serve in a large glasses.
Did you try this recipe? Comment below and tell me what’s your kid slushie favorite flavor!
How To Make a Slushie With a Blender
- 1 cup Cold Water or fruit juice like orange, apple, strawberry juice
- 3 tablespoons Powdered Drink Mix we used low-sugar, vitamin-loaded powder
- ¼ cup Sugar or erythritol for sugar-free
- 3-4 cups Ice Cubes
- 3-4 drops Liquid Food Coloring
At the end
- 1 cup Club water Soda or soda of choice like diet-coke, sprite etc.
- First, choose the flavor you want to make. For example, for a blue slushie, use club soda, cold water, sugar, blueberry drink mix, a few drops of blue food coloring, ice. For an orange slushie, use club soda, orange juice, orange drink mix, sugar, and a few drops of orange food coloring, ice. Finally, for a cola slushie, use Coke Zero, water, ice, and lemon drink mix.
- Bring cold water or fruit juice with powdered drink mix, sugar, ice cubes and food coloring into a high-speed blender
- Blend on high speed until frothy and add more ice cubes for an even frothier texture.
- Now add in the soda of choice or soda water and stir with a wooden spoon to incorporate
- Serve immediately