These ABC Muffins are simple healthy baby-led weaning muffins made from Apples, Bananas, and Carrots.
These baby muffins are also egg-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free, so they are perfect for kids with food allergies.
What Are ABC Muffins?
ABC muffins stand for Apple, Banana, and Carrots. They are soft banana muffins with added shredded carrots and apple puree.
They are healthy baby muffins to offer as a first food to babies ready to eat solids.
How To Make ABC Muffins
To make these easy baby muffins, you need only a few simple ingredients and a blender to pulse the ingredients together.
- Ripe bananas – the riper, the sweeter the muffins will be.
- Unsweetened apple sauce – I used the baby apple sauce from the store.
- Shredded carrots – peel and shred with a hand grater or a food processor. Depending on the age of your kids, you can adjust the thickness of the grated carrots.
- Baking powder
- Quick oats
- All-purpose flour or white wholewheat flour.
- Milk of choice
- Melted butter or oil of choice like canola oil or olive oil.
ABC Muffin Batter
Add the mashed banana, apple sauce, milk, and melted butter to a large mixing bowl. Stir until well combined.
Stir in dry ingredients: all-purpose flour, quick oats, baking powder, and shredded carrots.
Stir until just combined. Don’t overmix. Stir to form a smooth muffin batter.
Baking The Muffins
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 12-mini-muffin tin with paper cases and fill each case up to the top.
Place the muffin pan in the center rack of the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the muffins are cooked through – you can insert a pick in the center of the muffins to check.
If you can’t fit both muffin pans at once, cook one pan first, keep the second pan on the kitchen counter, and place it in the oven after the first one is ready.
Store the mini muffins in a zip lock bag in the fridge for up to 2 days or freeze and thaw at room temperature the day before.
You can offer these baby muffins plain or with yogurt to dip in.
Baby Muffins Add-ons
I still like to make these healthy muffins for my school kids. I like to twist the recipe for grown-up kids, adding some:
- Shredded apples and carrots – half/half carrots and apples instead of just adding shredded carrots.
- Sugar- add 1/3 cup of coconut sugar or unrefined cane sugar for a sweet taste.
- Chocolate chips
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make These Gluten-free?
You can swap the flour with all-purpose flour and use gluten-free certified rolled oats.
I Don’t Have Apple Sauce, What Can I Use?
You can add more mashed banana, sweet potato puree, or pumpkin puree instead.
Are Shredded Carrots A Choking Hazard?
Yes, if they are offered raw.
The safest way to offer carrots to babies is to cook them.
In these ABC muffins, the shredded carrots get soft after spending 20 minutes in the oven, and the amount used is small to avoid choking.
However, it’s your responsibility to shred the carrots as thin as possible to avoid big chunks in your baby muffins that could be unsafe.
Have you made these ABC muffins for your little one? Share a comment or review below to connect with me,
- ½ cup Mashed Bananas equivalent to 2 small bananas
- ½ cup Unsweetened Apple sauce
- ¼ cup Melted Butter or light olive oil or melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup Milk of Choice can use breastmilk, baby formula, or dairy-free milk
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice or apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup Quick Oats
- 1 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ⅓ cup Shredded Carrots
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two 12-hole mini muffin trays with oil spray. Set them aside.
- Peel, mash the bananas with a fork and measure 1/2 cup – precision is important to avoid gummy muffins.
- Place the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl and combine with applesauce, melted butter, milk, and lemon juice.
- Stir in the remaining dry ingredients: flour, quick oats, baking powder, baking soda, and shredded carrots.
- Fill the muffin holes with about 1-2 tablespoons of batter.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven until golden-brown, and a pick inserted in the center of the baby muffins comes out clean – about 15-18 minutes.
- Cool them down immediately on a wire rack.
- Serve plain or with fruits and yogurt on the side.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days or freeze in zip lock bags and thaw 3 hours before eating.