This 90-Second Single-Serve Fluffy Pancake in a Mug is the most delicious pancake recipe for breakfast! Bonus, this recipe is also egg-free and dairy-free with gluten-free options.
Tell me you also have those mornings when you crave pancakes, but you don’t feel like baking an entire batch just for yourself.
That’s what Pancakes in a Mug are made for! Satisfy your pancake craving with no fuss in less than 2 minutes!
What Are Pancakes In A Mug?
A pancake in a mug is a microwave recipe that consists in baking a single-serve pancake batter in a coffee mug in the microwave.
It’s a quick breakfast recipe made with pancake mix or with the recipe provided below.
How To Make Microwave Pancakes In A Mug
To make this pancake in a mug microwave recipe, you need only a few simple ingredients.
Of course, you can also use your pancake mix. Read below for my tips for doing so.
But first, let me share how to make a homemade pancake in the microwave for a single-serve quick breakfast.
- All-purpose flour – other options are spelt flour or all-purpose gluten-free flour blends containing added gums.
- Baking powder
- Sugar – you can use healthier options like coconut sugar or even sugar-free crystal sweetener like allulose or erythritol for a sugar-free pancake in a mug recipe.
- Almond milk – or any plant-based milk you like including oat milk, coconut milk, or even regular milk if you are not looking for a dairy-free alternative.
- Oil of choice – I used canola oil, but a light olive oil or melted butter works as well.
- Vanilla extract
Choosing A Tall Mug
First, make sure you are using a microwave-safe coffee or tea mug. A 12-oz cup is the best for this recipe.
Wide mugs, as seen in the picture below, work better to mimic a pancake texture than tall mugs that turn the recipe into a vanilla mug cake.
You can make the batter directly into the mug for less cleaning. First, stir the dry ingredients together with a whisk or fork, including flour, sugar, and baking powder.
Then, stir in the liquid ingredients: milk, oil, and vanilla extract.
Stir until the batter has no lumps. It should be runny, not thick or dense. If it is too thick, add more almond milk, 1-2 teaspoons, to thin it out slightly.
The trick to making a delicious pancake in the microwave is to follow the basic rules below:
- Set microwave to its higher power – 900W works the best for mug cake and pancake in a mug.
- Place the mug in the center of the microwave.
Microwave for 60 seconds, then increase by 10-second bursts until the pancake is set in the middle and dry on the edges but still moist in the center.
I personally found that 90 seconds at 900W is the best time for a moist vanilla pancake in the microwave.
Serve your mug pancake with regular pancakes toppings, including:
- a dollop of fresh butter
- maple syrup
- nut butter
Obviously, pancakes are always better with some added ingredients, and this pancake recipe in a mug is perfect for it!
What about adding 1 tablespoon of the below ingredients into the batter to create different pancake flavors?
- Chocolate chips – dark or milk chocolate
- Strawberries pieces
- Mashed banana
- Chopped nuts like almonds
- Dried raisins or cranberries
- Lemon Zest
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are the most common questions you have about this pancake recipe. If you don’t find the answer below, leave me a comment!
Can I Make Pancakes In A Mug With Pancake Mix?
Yes, you can!
First, prepare the pancake mix in a large mixing bowl following the packaging instructions.
Then, fill the mug cake with 1/4 cup of batter and microwave 90 seconds at 900W or until the pancake raises and it’s cooked through but still moist and fluffy in the center.
Can I Use Almond Flour Or Coconut Flour?
No, this recipe has no eggs and won’t work with low-carb flour. The recipe works with cake flour, all-purpose flour, spelt flour, or an all-purpose 1:1 gluten-free flour blend.
Can I Skip The Oil?
You can make the recipe oil-free by replacing oil with yogurt or applesauce. However, the texture won’t be as fluffy.
Have you made this microwave pancake recipe? Share a comment or review below,
Pancake In A Mug
- 4 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour (note 1)
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil canola or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Select a 12-oz mug, a wide mug is better for a pancake shape, and fluffy texture, but tall coffee mugs work as well – the result is more cakey and dense.
- In the microwave-safe mug, whisk the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder.
- Stir in liquid ingredients: almond milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Combine until light and runny with no lumps.
- Microwave at 900W for 90 seconds in the center of the microwave. If you are not sure what the power of your microwave is, start with 60 seconds and repeat microwaving in 10-second bursts until most and set in the center.
- Cool few seconds, then serve with butter, maple syrup, and berries.
- Microwave pancakes dry fast. Eat it immediately, and don't store cooked pancakes in the microwave for later.