This 3-Ingredient Mug Cake is an easy fudgy chocolate mug cake ready in 90 seconds that kids can make themselves! Plus, it’s a healthy mug cake recipe, refined sugar-free, high in protein, and low-carb to fix your sweet tooth with no guilt!
If you or the kids crave a cake but you don’t feel like baking for hours, this easy recipe is for you!
Plus, this is a healthy chocolate mug cake, naturally:
- Sugar-free option if you want to turn this into a keto chocolate mug cake.
How To Make A 3-Ingredient Mug Cake
It’s super simple to make this mug cake with three ingredients. All you need is a microwave-safe coffee mug or ramekin, tall enough to prevent the mug cake batter from overflowing. You don’t need baking powder for this recipe!
The ingredients you need to make this delicious single-serve cake are:
- Peanut butter – or any nut butter you like including almond butter, cashew butter, or sunflower seed butter for a nut-free option.
- Cocoa powder – I used Milo cocoa powder because it contains vitamins, and nutrients and it’s low GI, understand low sugar-sweetened with brown rice syrup.
- Large egg – this mug cake doesn’t work with egg replacers because it’s a flourless mug cake recipe, which means the egg acts as a binder.
First, beat egg and peanut butter in a small bowl or directly in your microwave-safe mug.
Then, whisk in cocoa powder until the batter is smooth.
Transfer to a tall 12-oz coffee mug cake is perfect.
Microwave on high for 90 seconds or until the mug cake rises and its top is set.
If the mug cake is still too wet in the center, return to the microwave in 10-second bursts until set.
This chocolate mug is delicious plain, and lukewarm from the coffee mug. Or you can also upside down the mug cake on a plate to cool it down for a few minutes.
Serving ideas for this chocolate mug cake are:
- Whipped cream
- Fresh berries like strawberries
- Drizzle peanut butter
- Dark chocolate chips – add them in the batter or on top of the hot mug cake, they melt on top and it adds a delicious flavor to the cake.
- A scoop of your favorite ice cream
- a dollop of my Healthy vanilla frosting
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Bake The Mug Cake?
Yes, you can place the batter of your mug cake in an oven-safe ramekin and bake at 350°F (180°C) for 15 minutes in the center rack of the oven.
What Can I Do If My Mug Cake Is Too Wet?
Keep microwaving by 10-second bursts until it is set in the center. In fact, cooking time varies based on your microwave power – mine is 900W.
But, some microwaves work at lower power than others and based on that parameter, you may need to microwave the mug cake longer to set.
Can I Make This Mug Cake Lower In Carbs?
You can decrease the sugar and net carbs in this mug cake recipe using sugar-free drinking chocolate powder.
More Mug Cake Recipes
Below I listed some more easy mug cake recipes for you to try
Have you made this easy kid recipe? Share a comment or review below.
3-Ingredients Mug Cake
- 2 tablespoons Peanut Butter fresh, drippy
- 1 large Egg at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa Powder I used Milo Malt chocolate beverage
Optional – for a fluffier cake
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- In a microwave-safe tall mug, whisk egg and fresh, drippy peanut butter.
- Whisk in cocoa powder until the batter is smooth and creamy.
- Microwave at 900W for 90 seconds or until the mug cake rises in the mug and is set and dry on top. If too wet in the center, return to the microwave by 10-second bursts until cooked through.
- Cool the mug cake down for 1-2 minutes and serve with whipped cream, ice cream or betties, or chocolate chips on top.
- Don't store mug cakes. Eat them within 20 minutes, or they get dense and chewy.