This easy healthy Applesauce Mug Cake is the best 90-second microwave cake ever! Plus, this recipe is also egg-free, oil-free, and dairy-free.
It’s perfect for anyone with food allergies or vegan mug cake food lovers!
We love quick cakes in the microwave, especially the kids who can easily make these themself as a quick after-school snack.
What Are Applesauce Mug Cakes?
An applesauce mug cake is a plain vanilla mug cake made with applesauce instead of oil.
It doesn’t have an apple flavor, but you can adapt the recipe by adding some lovely add-ons to turn this into a fall flavor mug cake.
This apple mug cake recipe is also naturally:
- Gluten-free friendly – see notes below
How To Make Applesauce Mug Cake
Let me show you how to make this easy applesauce mug cake recipe in less than 5 minutes.
All you need to make a fluffy, moist apple cake in a mug are a few simple pantry ingredients:
- All-purpose Flour
- Sugar – you can use coconut sugar or unrefined cane sugar for a healthier alternative or even sugar-free erythritol or allulose for a sugar-free option.
- Baking Powder
- Unsweetened Apple Sauce – you can make your own or use store-bought applesauce.
- Almond Milk
- Vanilla Extract
Mug Cake Batter
Mug cake batters are the easiest to make, but choosing the right mug is the most important part of making a light and fluffy cake in a microwave.
Pick a 12-oz-tall mug to prevent the batter from overflowing from the coffee mug. Of course, always check that your mug is microwave-safe – nowadays, most of them are, but always good to check under the mug just in case.
Add flour, sugar, and baking powder to the mug and whisk to combine. If you want to add cinnamon or pumpkin spices, stir it now.
Then, stir in the liquid ingredients: milk, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
Stir until a runny cake batter forms.
In the end, fold in finely chopped or shredded apples and stir to combine evenly into the batter.
Set your microwave to 800W and place the mug in the center of the microwave.
Microwave for 90 seconds or until the cake rises above the mug for at least 15 seconds.
Remove from the microwave and check the texture. The center should be dry and set. If wet, return to the microwave in 10-second bursts until the mug cake is fully cooked.
This applesauce mug cake is even more delicious topped with some:
- Caramel sauce
- Nut butter, like peanut butter
- Unsweetened whipped cream
- Chopped peanuts
- A pinch of cinnamon
You can bake this mug cake recipe in an oven-safe ramekin.
Bake in the center of the oven preheated at 350°F (180°C).
Bake until cooked through – it can take from 12 to 20 minutes, depending on the diameter of your ramekin. The wider, the longer it takes.
Note that mug cakes baked in the oven barely rise, and they won’t get as fluffy and moist.
Apple Mug Cake Flavors Boosters
As mentioned before, this mug cake has a plain vanilla flavor.
In fact, unsweetened apple sauce doesn’t add much taste to the mug cake, and if you are more after an apple cake flavor, you will have to add some boost to the batter.
Add some of the following ingredients into the mug cake batter before microwaving to turn this recipe into a quick apple cake!
- Cinnamon – add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon at the end.
- Chopped or finely shredded apples – fold in about 2 tablespoons into the batter to enhance the real apple flavor of the cake.
- Apple juice – you can cut half the almond milk with apple juice, but the cake comes out very sweet, so you may want to decrease sugar to 1 tablespoon.
Have you made this Applesauce Mug Cake?
Applesauce Mug Cake
- 4 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour (note 1)
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 tablespoons Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Add-ons – optional
- 2 tablespoons Shredded Apples or finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Caramel Sauce
- Select a 12-oz microwave-safe tall coffee mug to make sure the batter won't overflow when baking.
- In the microwave-safe mug, whisk the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon (if used).
- Stir in liquid ingredients: almond milk, apple sauce, and vanilla extract. Combine until light and runny with no lumps.
- Fold in shredded apples and stir to combine.
- Microwave at 900W for 90 seconds in the center of the microwave. If you are not sure what the power of your microwave is, start with 60 seconds and repeat microwaving in 10-second bursts until most and set in the center.
- Cool for a few seconds, then serve it with caramel sauce or peanut butter, a dust of extra cinnamon, and chopped peanuts.