This Oatmeal Banana Bread is a healthy banana bread high in fiber, protein, and refined sugar-free. It’s the best healthy quick bread to start the day with energy and wholesome ingredients.
My kids love banana bread, and I am quite a fan of quick bread that uses my overripe bananas!
This oatmeal banana bread is a healthy banana bread compared to classic banana bread. It’s fulfilling banana bread for breakfast because it is:
- High in Fiber
- High in Protein
- Low in Sugar and refined sugar-free
How To Make Banana Oatmeal Bread
It’s very easy to make banana oat bread at home, and below I listed some options as well to make it vegan, egg-free, and gluten-free.
- Ripe Bananas – I used 4 medium ripe bananas equivalent to 3 large bananas. I recommend mashing and measuring the mashed banana to ensure you have the correct amount called by the recipe and prevent a too moist or too dry banana bread.
- All-Purpose Flour – you can also use whole wheat flour, but the batter will be much dryer, and you may want to add 1/4 cup milk to balance the extra fiber from whole wheat flour. Another option is to use a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend containing gums as a 1:1 flour swap.
- Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats – you can use quick oats, but the bread will be lower in fiber and much moister.
- Maple Syrup or honey or any liquid sweetener you love. Avoid brown sugar or other crystal sweeteners as substitutes. These options will dry out the banana bread crumb.
- Eggs or Flax Eggs for a vegan banana oatmeal bread.
- Melted Coconut Oil or vegetable oil you like including light olive oil.
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Ground Cinnamon
- Vanilla Extract
Before you start, line a 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper and lightly oil the paper with melted coconut oil.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
Mashing The Banana
I always like to peel and mash the bananas first.
You can use a chopping board and mash the ripe bananas with a potato masher or a fork.
Or even better, place the bananas in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and mix on the high-speed setting. This is a fast and easy way to mash bananas that won’t involve too much work.
Then, measure the mashed banana to make sure the banana bread comes out with the best texture.
In fact, banana bread recipes often call for a number of bananas and don’t tell you the volume of mashed bananas you need. As a result, your banana bread can come out too moist or too dry, which is disappointing.
So, measure the amount with a measuring cup, and I guarantee you will make the best banana oatmeal bread.
Stirring The Dry Ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, stir the dry ingredients together: flour, old-fashioned oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and chopped walnuts if used. Set it aside.
Combining Dry To Liquid Ingredients
In another bowl, combine the mashed bananas with oil, eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla.
Stir to well combine the ingredients.
Finally, stir the dry ingredients into the wet to form a smooth banana bread batter. The batter should be quite runny.
Pour the banana bread batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Bake the oatmeal banana bread in the center rack of the oven for about 50-70 minutes or until a pick inserted in the center of the bread come out clean.
You can also foil the top of the bread to prevent the top from burning too fast.
Cool the banana bread down on a wire rack for about 3 hours at room temperature.
Then, slice just before serving to keep the banana bread moist in the center.
This oatmeal banana bread is delicious plain or with some of the toppings below:
- Peanut Butter
- Almond Butter
- Honey or Maple Syrup
- Slices of Banana
- Butter and a dust of cinnamon
Below I listed some options to adapt this recipe and make it suitable for anyone with food allergies.
- Vegan – to make this banana bread egg-free, replace the eggs with 2 flax eggs. To do so, combine 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 5 tablespoons of lukewarm water. Wait for about 10 minutes until the flax meal turns the mixture into an egg-like texture. Use as two eggs in the recipe.
- Coconut-Free – you can replace coconut oil with olive oil or melted butter.
- Gluten-Free – use a gluten-free certified oats brand and replace the white flour with an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend with added gums like Bob Red Mill’s brand.
Frequently Asked Question
Can I Use Whole-wheat Flour?
You can, but whole-wheat flour contains more fiber than all-purpose flour, and the bread comes out a bit more dry with this kind of flour.
You can add 1/4 cup of almond milk with the liquid ingredient to avoid dry banana bread using whole-wheat flour.
Can I Make Oatmeal Banana Muffins?
Yes, you can bake this recipe into a 12-muffin pan lined with lightly oiled paper cases.
Bake for 35-40 minutes and cool down on a wire rack before eating.
Can I Add Fruits Or Chocolate Chips?
Oatmeal banana chocolate chip banana bread is probably my favorite quick bread.
To do so, add 1/2 cup of your favorite chocolate chips to the batter.
Have you made this healthy banana bread recipe with oats? Share a comment or review below to connect with me.
Banana Oatmeal Bread
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ cup Rolled Oats
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ cup Mashed Ripe Bananas 4 medium ripe bananas
- ½ cup Maple Syrup or honey
- 2 large Egg or flaxeggs
- ⅓ cup Melted Coconut Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Slightly oil the paper with coconut oil set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir with a spoon until well combined. Set aside.
- Mash the ripe bananas and measure exactly 1 cup + 1/2 cup.
- In another large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add the mashed bananas with the remaining liquid ingredients: coconut oil, beaten eggs, vanilla, and maple syrup. Stir until the liquid ingredients are all combined.
- Stir in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients bowl until a banana bread batter forms.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven for at least 50-70 minutes or until golden brown on top and a pick inserted in the center of the banana bread comes out dry and clean.
- Cool down on a wire rack for a few hours before slicing.
- Serve plain or with peanut butter on top.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can freeze and thaw at room temperature before serving.
1 thought on “Oatmeal Banana Bread”
My toddler begged and cried for seconds and thirds!! So yummy!!! Love the texture the rolled oats give. 10/10