This easy 10-minute Pita Bread Pizza Recipe is perfect for a kid pizza party or a quick pizza night. Bonus, these are healthy pizzas too, made with wholemeal pita bread and vegetarian pizza perfect for meat-free Mondays.
I love making pizza with kids. I think it’s one of the easiest recipes you can teach to kids. It helps children learn about ingredients, real food and give them the confidence to build their own meal.
But somedays I don’t feel like baking my own pizza crust, so I love to use pita bread as a pizza base. Pita bread pizzas are quick, easy, and a fun cooking activity for kids. Let me show you how I set up our ‘Kids make your own pizza’ activity table.
How to make pizza with pita bread
It’s super easy to make pita bread pizzas, and it takes barely 10 minutes to prepare.
You only need three main ingredients to make these mini pizzas at home:
- Pita bread – I used store-bought wholewheat pita bread, but you can also use gluten-free pita bread to make gluten-free pizzas.
- Homemade tomato sauce – I will share below my simple recipe. Keep scrolling down.
- Pizza toppings you love – we used vegetarian pizza toppings but if you are not vegetarian, feel free to use any toppings you love.
Preparing the pita bread
First, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, or you can also use a large pizza stone, no paper is needed for this option. Set aside.
Next, choose if you want to make thick pizza crust or thin pizza crust.
For a thin pizza crust, half the pita pizza bread halfway horizontally using a sharp knife.
For a thick crust, as seen in my pictures below, keep the pita as is.
Spread the pita bread on the baking sheet, leaving half thumb space between each bread. Always place the flat side of the pita up. It means the flat slide is facing you.
Then, use a fork to prick the pita bread – this prevents the pita from puffing up in the oven, and it keeps the pizzas flat.
Homemade pizza sauce
Now, make a healthy pizza sauce. To do so, simply combine the ingredients below into a bowl:
- Marinara Sauce
- Tomato paste
- Dried oregano
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
Garnish the pita pizza
Now, spread 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce on top of each pita bread, leaving the borders free from the sauce.
In the center of the pizza, add toppings, starting with the flat ingredients first and finishing with mozzarella cheese.
Vegetarian pizza toppings
I like to place all the pizza toppings into small bowls so the kids can grab what they like and make their own kids pizza.
The best vegetarian toppings for pizza are:
- Cooked beans – chickpea, black beans
- Mushrooms sliced
- Sundried tomatoes
- Black olives sliced
- Zucchini slices
- Red peppers
- Cheese of choice – we used shredded mozzarella and vegan cheese on other pizzas to make some vegan kids pizza.
Some of our kids’ favorite pita pizza flavors are:
- Margarita Pizza: pizza sauce and cheese – very simple but always a favorite.
- Vegetarian Pizza: pizza sauce, mushroom slices, olives, and cheese.
- Vegan Chickpea Pizza: pizza sauce, diced red pepper, cooked chickpeas, and vegan cheese.
- Vegan Mexican Pizza: pizza sauce, cooked black beans, corn kernel, red pepper, spinach, and vegan cheese.
Anyway, you can play with flavor and variation based on your kid’s taste buds.
If you are not only making these pita pizzas for kids, try adding some of the fun ingredients below on top of the baked pizza
- a drizzle of barbecue sauce
- Fresh basil
- Fresh oregano
- Pinch of red peppers flakes
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
Bake the pita
Bake the pita bread pizza in the center rack of the preheated oven at 400 F (200C).
Bake pizza for 8-12 minutes or until the cheese is melted and borders are crispy.
Kids Pizza Party
These are perfect for a kid’s pizza party, and I love to make these pita pizzas for kids’ birthdays. It’s so easy, healthy, and all the kids love it.
Simply place the mini pita pizza on a platter and kids can grab and eat immediately without even cutting in slices!
You can freeze leftover baked pita pizza in an airtight container and rewarm the frozen pizza in a hot oven for 10 minutes.
The baked pizza store for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I half the pita bread to make the pizza thinner?
Absolutely, you can slice the pita bread horizontally to make a thin pizza crust. Place the cut side on the baking tray and garnish as usual.
Pita bread size?
I used small pita bread for this recipe, but regular size works as well. I found the mini pita bread easier to hold with a kid’s hands.
This is a healthy pizza recipe for kids, but if you have a food allergy, I listed below some options to make these pita bread differently.
Gluten-free – use a gluten-free pita bread from the store. Some are also made from whole gluten-free flours, which contains more fiber and proteins
Vegan pizza- use any shredded vegan cheese as a topping
More kid-friendly recipes
Below I listed some more kids recipes that are easy and delicious to make.
Have you made these mini pizzas with pita bread? Share a comment or review below to let me know how you make yours and which toppings your kids enjoy putting on their pizza.
Pita Pizza Bread Recipe
- 6 small Whole Wheat Pita Bread
- ½ cup Toppings see post above for inspiration
- ½ cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- ⅓ cup Marinara Sauce
- ⅓ cup Tomato Paste
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Onion Powder
Homemade tomato sauce
- Bring all ingredients into a mixing bowl, stir, set aside at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the pita pizza on the baking sheet, leaving half a thumb of space between each.
- Prick each pita bread with a fork over its whole surface to prevent them from puffing up in the oven.
- Spread homemade tomato sauce, any flat ingredients you like: slices zucchini, black olives, mushrooms, spinach, cooked beans, and finish with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and the sides of the pita pizza are crispy and golden.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days and rewarm them in the oven at 350°F (180°C) for 8 minutes. You can also freeze the cooked pizza and rewarm them with the same oven settings for about 10 minutes.