This 4-ingredient banana bread recipe is an easy and delicious banana bread recipe to use all your overripe bananas.
Plus, it’s also dairy-free and refined sugar-free, so a healthy alternative to regular banana bread recipes.
Last time I shared with you my oatmeal banana bread recipe, which is a delicious healthy breakfast packed with oats.
Here’s a new banana bread recipe, made simpler and using just 4 simple ingredients.
How To Make 4-Ingredient Banana Bread
All you need to make this easy fluffy banana bread are a few wholesome ingredients that you probably have at home.
Here are the four basic ingredients you need:
- Over-Ripe Bananas – The darker they are, the better the bread will be. You need bananas with dark spots on their skins for the best sweetness and fluffy crumb. If your bananas are too yellow, the texture of the bread will be much denser and less sweet.
- Self-Raising All-Purpose Flour – Or all-purpose flour and baking powder. To make your own self-raising flour for this recipe, combine 1 cup + 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour with 1 3/4 teaspoons of baking powder.
- Coconut Sugar or any granulated sugar you love, including brown sugar or unrefined cane sugar.
- Egg – See below for egg-free options.
Making Banana Bread Batter
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper and lightly oil the paper with a cooking oil spray.
First, peel and mash ripened banana with a fork or a potato masher. I also like to place the peeled bananas in the bowl of a stand mixer and use the paddle attachment to break them into a smooth banana puree.
Measure the amount of mashed banana, packing the puree in measuring cups or using a kitchen scale.
In fact, since the recipe contains only 4 ingredients, it matters to be precise when it comes to each ingredient.
Too much banana and the bread will end up too moist or soft. Too much flour and the bread will be dry.
Now, return the mashed banana to a mixing bowl and whisk in the egg. Then, using a wooden spoon or silicone spatula, stir in coconut sugar and flour.
The banana bread batter should be quite thick, and that’s normal.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the center rack of the oven for about 40 to 50 minutes.
Bake the banana bread until it’s golden brown on top, and a pick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
If some banana bread batter sticks to the toothpick, return the loaf to the oven until the center is set.
If the top of the banana bread browns too fast, tent the pan placing a piece of foil on top.
Let it cool down for 5 minutes in the pan, then lift the hanging part of parchment paper to release the banana bread on a wire rack.
Cool down completely before slicing. It can take 3 hours to reach room temperature.
You can with flavors and textures by adding some lovely ingredients below to the batter:
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon – stir at the same time you add flour.
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla – stir with the liquid ingredients.
- 1/3 cup of chopped nuts – chopped walnuts and pecans are a great combination. Stir in the batter at the end.
- 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips – stir in the batter before transferring the loaf pan.
Below are some allergy swaps option if you need them:
- Egg-Free – You can replace the egg with 3 tablespoons of olive oil or melted butter or a flax egg. To make a flax egg, stir one tablespoon of flaxseed meal with 2 1/2 tablespoons of lukewarm water. Set aside until gooey and use as an egg in the recipe.
- Gluten-Free – I didn’t try using an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend, but I am pretty confident it will work well if your blend contains added xanthan gum.
- Sugar-Free – You can replace the sweetener with sugar-free crystal sweeteners like erythritol, brown erythritol, or allulose. Another option is to completely leave out the sweetener. The recipe will work with no sugar added, but the taste will be less sweet.
This banana bread can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days or 4 days in the fridge.
You can also freeze this 4-Ingredient Banana Bread, whole or in slices. The best is to place the bread in a Ziploc bag or airtight container.
Thaw at room temperature the day before.
This easy banana bread recipe is delicious plain, or top up your slice with some delicious spread like:
- Nut Butter like peanut butter, almond butter
- Seed Butter like sunflower seed butter
- Chocolate Spread
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are my most frequent questions about this recipe:
What Can I Do If My Batter Is Too Dry Or Thick?
If the batter is too thick, it means that your bananas are too small or you added too much flour.
To thin out the batter, you can add 3 to 4 tablespoons of oil or almond milk.
Can I Use Frozen Bananas?
Yes, you can, but you must thaw the bananas at room temperature first. Keep the liquid released by the frozen bananas.
Can I Make Banana Muffins With This Recipe?
Yes, this recipe can be baked in a 2-hole muffin pan.
Line the pan with paper liners, lightly oil the liners with cooking spray, and fill them with 1/4 cup of batter.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a pick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.
More Banana Recipes
Below are more super easy banana recipes for you to try.
Have you tried this simple banana bread recipe? Leave a comment or review below to connect with me.
4-Ingredient Banana Bread
- 1 ¾ cup Mashed Bananas 4 large bananas
- 1 ¾ cup Self-Raising Flour note 1
- ½ cup Coconut Sugar note 2
- 1 large Egg note 3
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Slightly oil paper with oil spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a potato masher or forks until smooth, with only a few bits and pieces of banana left. Measure the exact amount required by the recipe, packing the mashed bananas in measuring cups or using a kitchen scale.
- Return to the mixing bowl and beat in egg and vanilla if used.
- Use a silicone spatula to stir in flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt, if used. The batter should be quite thick, and that's normal.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake the bread on the center rack for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown on top and a pick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool down for 5 minutes in the loaf pan, then transfer to a cooling rack to completely cool down.
- Slice after 3 hours into 12 slices and store for up to 4 days in the fridge in a sealed cake box. Freeze in airtight containers for up to 1 month. Thaw it at room temperature the day before.